Sunday, November 05, 2006

Singapore Biennale 2006

I am poor in visual arts, moreso, modern visual arts.
(Ah, this exhibit is so red...oh this is like Dr. Jekyll's laboratory..--> plangak! =P )

Although I've enjoyed going to museums and art exhibits when I was a child for our school fieldtrips, I wouldn't think about going to museums if I were alone (although people seem like they would liketo strangle me when I tell them I did not go to a single museum during my stay in Paris,nor did I go inside Met museum in New York, or any museum in California, Houston or when I was in Dublin, Ireland.) So my motivation to go to the Singapore Biennale Art festival 2006 was not the festival itself but because of my dear, dear friend Aoisoba's invitation, and combine her with Chuvanescence and for sure it would be a "scandalously" fun time. Plus for a bonus, Diovie was with us to make it the merrier.

I was almost speechless as we toured the exhibits inside the Cityhall. No, it was not because I was taken away by how much I loved the exhibits, rather, I was trying to keep my mouth shut so I would not utter my duh comments (I was too afraid that Aoisoba might lock me up in one of the chambers, ahehehe). I did try to appreciate those arts but really, I was either too shallow to be appreciative or the exhibits were really uhmm..no comment (there was one MTV-type interpretation that I bet my facial expression from my reaction would be good enough to be featured in a tv show like though I was in a practical joke). In fairness though,there were two exhibits that did interest me: one was a documentary short film on interviews on some ordinary people on the difference of Muslim countries and Western countries and what they think would be the last thoughts of a suicide bomber. Then the other exhibit was another documentary short film on the last meal of a death convict, the chef who prepared the last meals of death convicts in a US prison was interviewed. Something which made it more interesting was that the room that featured this exhibit was across another exhibit of a painting by an artist of Jesus' last supper with the disciples. I'm not sure if it was intentional, I suppose it is.

All in all, as I have expected, I had a lot of fun with my good friends' company. We were like tourists in Singapore for a day --just spontaneous and indifferent even if people might think we're "crazy tourists, lah". It was indeed a fabulous day of laughter. Now we're not just mushrooms anymore, we're now "cultured" mushrooms! Bow!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

crazy, cultured mushrooms, eh? me likey! hahaha! :D

sa sunday uli! :)

Richard said...

I have no problem going to museums by myself - of course, they have to be science or natural history oriented ... art? Erm, not really. Then I have to go with a person.