Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What's up and Wha-evah!

Two weeks of being back in Singapore and so far I am doing ok. Adjusting back to my life here was smoother than I expected, I did not feel my psychological system rejecting my coming back to reality.On the first week I was even feeling too light and cheerful, perhaps it was part of the effect of a major jetlag, I was at a lost about the time and my brain processing was very slow, like I was having memory lapses that a colleague at work kept correcting me when I said it's Wednesday while it's only Tuesday and I say again it's Wednesday on Thursday. But then I think it was more of the effect of the wonderful vacation I had in California that I was fully recharged plus of that one week in Paris, both events which made me have the motivation to have that drive again about my career and have a clearer direction in life. It's indeed refreshing to have a new perspective. There are many realizations that have dawned on me which made me take off all these unnecessary load I have been carrying which I should have not because I deserve to be happy, much as I want other people to be happy. I have let go of some inhibitions that seemed to be the reason for holding me back from spreading out my wings to fly. There are also some things that need not be poetic about, as sometimes a stone is just a stone and that's it, nothing more. On things that happen that hurts us or those we could not make sense of, we can dwell and drown on it or we can shrug it off and let it be. I choose the latter, because we could just dismiss it off, roll our eyes, say "wha-evah" and move on. Taking things lightly is not at all being shallow.


And so, this year marks a new beginning for a new me.


In this light, what's up and what's new with me ?


I am a walking lifebuoy
With three weeks of vacation in United States where the only part of my body that was getting some form of exercise was my digestive system, gaining 7 pounds was something I was already expecting. So now I have this great big bulge around my waistline and I could actually be a replacement for Grimace if he decides to have a break from mascotting. But of course, they should just be temporary, I have a full time job ya know, hehe :P

I am a little less sweet
That is, just only about my coffee. As you may know I like my coffee sweet and creamy. But we all know that too much sugar is not healthy, so I tried to change and use a sugar substitute instead. However, we also know that yes, sugar substitute will not give you diabetes but then againit could give you cancer. Between cancer and diabetes, I chose none and so last December I decided I was just going to take my coffee without sugar or sweetener. I thought I could not do it, but thanks to the inspiration of
Dayohbee, I did it. So now I am taking my coffee just with milk or creamer. My next plan is to actually go away with the milk or creamer. We'll see ;)


I am losing my sense of fashion
I so love Sketchers bikers shoes and I could not decide whether to get the pair in white, black or brown so I bought three pairs for a very reasonable price (thanks to California outlet stores!). They are so comfortable and perfect for walking and commuting and after a month of not wearing my office shoes, I found it unbearable to wear high heeled shoes again. And I realized I don't have to endure all this discomfort and I would like to give my feet a rest. So I decided I would just wear my bikers to work, with my office clothes, never mind the fashion consequences. So if you see some little lady around the CBD in Singapore wearing something like a a blouse, slacks and bikers, that's most probably me.


I am now officially old
While washing my face on a one California morning, I noticed that one little strand of my hair seemed to a bit shiny. I thought it was just because of some dust or some particle on my hair but when I looked closer and touched it, I discovered that that little strand was almost grey! I wanted to tell myself it could just be some effect of the highlights I had done on my hair recently but noooo, I could see that tip of that little strand was still of the color of my hair, which meant that it was indeed just turning to grey. huhuhu. :( Hmm, what if this little grey hair is just a sign of something else ...(think of the 6th Sense movie), yikes, I'd rather just be turning old :P


3 comments:

i said...

Taking things lightly is not at all being shallow.-you're absolutely right! usually taking things lightly makes you come up w/ better decisions. btw, don't worry bout grey hairs, i'm only 24 and i had some before due to stress not that i'm old :)

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

Thanks Irene! yep, i think it was the stress for me too. I tried looking for the little grey hair again, but I can't find it anymore though...I hope it was just my imagination, hehehe. :)

Richard said...

I gave up sugar in my tea about 20 years ago. It was making me feel ill. I have always drunk my coffee black.

You are not old until you find a grey chest hair.