Saturday, January 06, 2007

Flying like the flowing river

On my flight back from Manila to Singapore I started to read the book Like the Flowing River, a collection of thoughts and reflections of my favorite author, Paulo Coelho (my friends' birthday gift to me last November). A few pages after, I felt the tears flow down on my cheeks (like a flowing river). It has never happened to me before that I cried during a flight and I tried to be discreet about it as I didn't want to embarrass myself from the ladies sitting beside me. Good thing the cabin lights were off but with only my reading light on from among the seats in my row, it made it even more dramatic. And indeed, tears trying to be held back is like water being held in a dam which once it breaks, the intensity of the water's cascading flow will be too powerful to stop.

What has made me cry?


Could it be I was so moved by Paulo Coelho's beautiful thoughts on life?


Or could it be because of something else?


Perhaps those last words I heard at the airport?



I think yes and yes. I've read many of Paulo Coelho's novels, all of them fiction but all I adored. But reading real life thoughts and reflections of a person written in impromptu, has an extraordinary impact on me. I was deeply moved at how He sees life in a beautiful way, full of hope, love and peace. It made me ask myself



Why do people lose this drive in life?


Why do people tie themselves up with the ghosts of their past?


Why not make the most of what you have?


Why those last heavy words need to be said?



We know the answers to these questions but I just wish that we do not let ourselves be spun by the web of sadness. No matter how things may seem frustrating, there is always a way to see things in the light. We say we err because we are just human but it does not end there. While it is innate for us to err, it is also innate for us to love. To love is to appreciate, to love is to see beauty and so I hope that we do not forget that this is the gift of life. Our ability to change is more powerful that we can ever imagine, let us not underestimate our ability to become the person that God wants us to be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

exactly!

glad i read this...kinda need some positive thoughts today... :)

thanks, fairy foy! u have a great day,ayt! :)

-dayOHbee-

Anonymous said...

There are days when we can be positive enough to overcome the barriers made up of negativity and distraught over frustrations. But then, sometimes we don't have enough energy to blast those crappy thoughts away. I believe that moments like these are inevitable. And these are times when we would/might lose our drive in life.
Paulo Coelho has been through a lot considering the life he had to live (based on Veronica decides to die).
Often times we need to see the night, to see the stars.
It's easy to say to let go of the past, shrug it off...but then there are still stings from momentary disturbance w/c would still haunt you. Ghosts are actually memories. it will always be there no matter what. the best that we can do is how to handle those haunting moments and learn the art of just shoving it away. it's a slow process but then time "might" be able to heal.
By the way, what were those last words you were mentioning?

Anonymous said...

well written foy... well written.