Saturday, December 15, 2007

Gandhi, My Father

On board SQ12 going to Los Angeles via Tokyo (Narita).

I don't know my exact position right now, but we're about 2 hours away from Narita. I have just finished watching "Gandhi, My Father" and this movie indeed proves that it deserves the Best Screenplay award it got from the recent Asia Pacific Screen Awards. I learned about this movie after watching the awards ceremony in CNN weeks ago during one time I was runnning on the treadmill in the gym. It has taken my interest since then as it presented Mahatma Gandhi in a different perspective - he has always been presented as a successful father of a nation but in this movie we will see his failure as a father to his own son.

The movie is more than two hours long but there is no dragging moment, every scene is so essential and so I give all my admiration to screenplay writer and director Feroz Abbas Khan. I also have to give credit to the cinematography, nothing really fancy, but it presented the film with India's colorful and artistic culture, which added to the consistent vivacity of the film without reducing the melodramatic setting. And of course, my applause goes to the actors as well, for an outstanding performance, subtle and yet so powerful. I had to keep slouching down my seat to be more discreet, otherwise, the other passengers and the cabin crew might think I am a troubled person who's too depressed that she could not help sobbing in the plane (good thing my seatmate is sleeping!). Well, that's my normal me, I cry when I am deeply moved.

This definitely made it to my list of favorites movies. Watch it, maybe it would make yours too.


1 comment:

aoi soba said...

shucks!! i need to see this movie!!!