Monday, March 06, 2006

All in a day's work - a bloody flower analogy


Morning - The intrusion
Though I was already starting to feel lazy when I got to office this morning, I did manage to push myself to continue with the new program I was doing. However, halfway to completing this change request, my mentor approached me to question my function design which eventually led us to discussing it to our manager (take note though: I have already discussed it with my manager last week). Anyway, to make the long story short, my mentor's "minimalistic" (i.e. not pro-user) approach prevailed. And though it has made technical things more simple, I still was not comfortable delivering such an incomplete thing to the user to whom I had already discussed my design considering she is one of those kind users that are easy to talk to. Now I have to go back to her and tell her something like "I'm sorry Regina but the design we have discussed has just been scrapped" in a nice way. As I have told Mhean, my friend-collegue, it is like the user requested that I make a flower and I said ok, I can make a flower but only to tell her in the end I would be delivering only a stem!

That was enough to start up my lazy mood again.

Early afternoon - The catalyst
So I just sat there in my desk, demotivated in what I was going to do next. I decided I would just start with it tomorrow. Then I got an SMS message from my only bro that really made an impact to me. For the 8 months I've been away from home to work, today was the second time I've received a message from him. He asked how I was and I was starting to get sentimental and touched but only to realize that it would just only last for some mere milliseconds as I read the next words in the message asking me for Oakley sunglasses because it's summer! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!???? It was enough to completely put my mood to gloom. I could not explain to myself anymore how I could feel good about myself.

Further into the afternoon - The bloody crime
In my desperation to calm myself and in the hope that my mood could be shifted to a relaxed one, I decided to have a cup of coffee as I have not had a coffee for the day (I had tea with milk in the morning). Sadly, I didn't know that an innocent longing would actually be the cause of a bloody crime...

The villain:


The accomplice:


The victim:


The savior:

The witness:

It was a two-inch slash on my middle finger and I dont know why in the world that the first thing that came into my mind was to take a picture of it dripping with blood before tending to it. Haha. See what a mad mind can do? Tsk tsk tsk... =S
Anyway, like a little girl I went to Mhean's desk wanting to ask for help although I was hesitant because I knew that she doesn't like to see blood. But I had no choice so I showed her my finger wrapped in blood stained tissue. She asked for the first aid kit from our manager and my manager was so kind enough to put antiseptic and plaster on my injured finger. I was really touched both with Mhean and my manager's care for me.
So what is my lesson learned from all of this?
Thou shall not try to open a can of milk just to satisfy your craving for coffee when you are absent minded.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dearie.. when it rains it really pours...

Anonymous said...

ewwww blood! *faints*

yeah, it's already creepy you cut your finger but why take a picture of it, why?!?! =P

don't mention it, i did nothing really but take you to pekkin. =P i hope your finger is much better now... and the rest of you. ;)

next time, let someone else open the can ok? =D