Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Please mind the platform gap


Next stop...Changi

This airport has become like a usual hangout for me already, with the number of times I've been there to either pick up someone, send someone off or I myself am arriving/departing in this country. But every moment was different for me, special in each way and it makes me love this airport more and more each time. Last Tuesday, Feb 21st, I went there to meet my friend from highschool. It was amazing that the feeling of anticipation to see an old friend was there. And when we finally met at the arrival area, it was like back to the old days in highschool when we were close friends. He gave me a warm hug and it felt really good as I felt the sincerity of his being. It's been three years since we last saw each other but surprisingly no awkwardness, and on the contrary, it seemed like we were even more comfortable with each other now than three years back. Maybe because he's changed and I've changed, maybe because we have matured.

Next stop...Orchard

I brought him straight from the airport to Orchard road, the famous shopping road haven. We had dinner there and I had my first taste of century egg (ulk!). The following morning I accompanied him at the same road, to where the Thai Embassy was.

Next stop...Choa Chu Kang

I decided I'd take the day off from work as we finished his VISA application in less than an hour in the Thai Embassy and we had the whole afternoon to spend. So we went back first to the area where I live and to a nearby clinic where I had to consult the doctor to get a medical certificate for skipping work that day. I told the doctor I had diarrhea, the doctor asked me if I ate something that might have disrupted my stomach. I answered I had century egg last night, it was the first thing that came into my mind. The doctor smiled like she was suppressing her laughter. I told my friend what happened and he laughed at my century egg excuse too. It was indeed a funny excuse as he is also a doctor. He passed the medical board exams last year (wuhu! applause! applause!). I think his diagnosis to me would not be diarrhea but halucination. Hehehe.

Next stop...Bukit Gombak

After a heavy Hokkien Mee lunch, I took him to my recluse. It was my sudden decision to alight on that station and show him my "secret" place. It was a place that I share to people close to my heart and I was praying and hoping he'd appreciate the place as I don't bring just anyone there. He liked it so much. I'm glad (whew!). Then we went to the church on the hill where we made a quick prayer. I remember we went to church too before we headed out for coffee three years ago. Thank you, Lord for these moments.


Next stop...Harbourfront

I brought him next to Sentosa. The usual route - cable car, Mt. Faber, Siloso beach, Merlion, and musical fountain. How many times have I done the same route now? Three? Four? But nevertheless, every time it was still a new experience. I still enjoyed every moment of it.


Next stop...Raffles Place

We met and went with our other highschool batchmates who are also working here and what a great time we had. It was so nice to talk about highschool times, and so funny to reveal each one's "tampo" to another batchmate or how I admitted I had this major crush on another batchmate back then. I saw how much he enjoyed our mini reunion and I'm glad that he had a great time in his short stay here.

Next stop...Dover

It was too bad I couldn't go with him to the airport on his departure day as I had to go to work, but nevertheless, I was happy enough that as we said our goodbyes he gave me that warm hug again, right there in the train station. But strangely enough, I felt that as we went our separate ways, our goodbyes actually meant see you later.


Next stop...Bangkok ;-)

No comments: