Friday, February 29, 2008

Feast of Love




After more than two months since we last saw each other, I was so glad to have a date again with my very good friend Maia who is now back in Singapore (hooray!) after some few months' stint in HK. I proposed a movie date and selected this movie called Feast of Love, because it fit with our schedule. Although I did have been eyeing this movie before, because it seemed interesting but then again I had hesitations because I was thinking it might be a heavy drama type of movie or if not, it might be some cheesy movie about love. Anyways, I wasn't expecting much from this movie but I did tell Maia it should be some kind of quality movie since Morgan Freeman is there.


Ok, so off we went inside the cinema without expecting too much but then again after seeing it was R21 as we were entering the cinema, our curiosity was awakened.


So it was indeed a drama movie but not something heavy and it was indeed a movie about love but nothing cheesy at all. I think it was what made it beautiful, it was just enough to touch your emotions but not disturb you, it was just enough to make you believe in love and romance but not to convince you that love is a fairytale. This movie showed love in an honest perspective, for today's time so it showed reality in a light and hopeful side.


I would have to commend the screenplay writer, Allison Burnett, because from start until the end, the lines were just amazing. It was like I could quote every dialogue. The script was so perfect that I was holding on to each character's every word. I would also have to give credit to Charles Baxter, the the writer of the book "The Feast of Love" where the screenplay was based from. I actually found a piece of myself in each of the characters. The actors were good of course, I think they all were perfect for their roles. A movie where Morgan Freeman is included is indeed a good basis of the quality of a good movie. And of course, kudos to the movie director, Robert Benton, for this masterpiece.


When the movie ended, the cinema lights were switched on a bit immediately, without giving the audience some time to recover and dab our tears dry. Maia and I laughed at the sight of each other trying to stop ourselves from crying.

***



Some of the lines that really struck me:


Harry Stevenson: "There is a story about the Greek Gods; they were bored so they invented human beings, but they were still bored so they invented love, then they weren't bored any longer. So they decided to try love for themselves. And finally, they invented laughter, so they could stand it."
***

Harry Stevenson: "Sometimes, you don't know you've crossed the line until you're already on the other side."


***


Harry Stevenson (pertaining to all the unfortunate circumstances that has happened):"God is either dead or He despises us,"


Bradley Thomas:"God doesn't hate us, if He did, he wouldn't have made our hearts so brave."


***



Photo taken from the Feast of Love official site: http://www.feastoflovefilm.com/

The coffeefairy's mental notes: I need to have a copy of this book and a CD of the soundtrack.



No comments: