Wednesday, October 08, 2008

My Tennis Racket Dampener


It's been three years now that I've been playing tennis and I am very much happy of how much I have improved. I am still amazed right now when I find myself having a great rally or a game of tennis with my neighbors because I never thought my level would progress to this.

When I started playing tennis almost three years ago, I've always used a tennis racket dampener because it decreases the vibration when the racket hits the ball. And it was just great for me because I really felt the difference of having it on my racket since it made me be able to retain a stable grip and hit the balls with the correct form.

So all the while I had my dampener on my tennis racket and I had always attributed that my good strokes was because of it. Until I decided tonight to just take it off and just try what would happen. I very much expected that my hitting would turn unstable but oh boy, was I so amazed to discover that my stroke remained there and evenmore, my hits became more powerful! I really couldn't believe it, that all along I was so afraid to take it off because of the thought that I was only having good strokes because of it and all along I had been wondering why my hits wasn't that powerful even if I was hitting very hard. It was the dampener!

Therefore, this is what I've realized: there are things that are there to help us when we are just learning, to give us that firm foundation, that confidence. However, we must know when to let go of this, to discover more of our capabilities, otherwise we might get stuck thinking that we could not do more.

Do you have a dampener that you couldn't take off too?

2 comments:

Kines said...

just answered my question! thanks

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

glad to have helped! all the best to your tennis! :)