Thursday, May 03, 2007

Flying with Sam's Letters to Jennifer


I usually bring a book to read whenever I travel, especially when I'm travelling alone (which is often the case). However, last week I forgot to bring a book for my flight from Singapore to Manila and back. So I went to the bookstore at the airport terminal to find an affordable book. I saw a stack of books on sale, good. I searched and the book Sam's Letter to Jennifer caught my interest. After reading some of the quoted commentaries that endorses the book, it sounded ok although I was not sure if I would like to read another fiction novel having a cheesy, sentimental love story at that moment. I've also not read any James Patterson book before so I was not sure if it would be a good read. I decided to buy it, anyway, since it was just S$7, not much money to waste if ever. Besides, I thought it would serve as a preparation to start reading Judith McNaught novels again (paging Ays and chilis: pang-ilan ako sa nakapila? :).
I was not able to read it on the Singapore-Manila flight as I've expected (since I was taking Cebu Pacific Air flight and it leaves at midnight) because I slept during the 3 hour flight.
I was able to read it intermittently during my one week stay in my homeland. I was able to finally finish reading it on the flight back from Manila to Singapore. I was amazed to realize that my initial impression about the book was not close to what it really was about and that this book is like a found treasure in a stack of books on bargain. It may not be as comprehensive and as vivid as a Judith McNaught novel or as emotionally intense as a Nicholas Spark novel but it has that subtle, light touch to the mind and heart. Just what I perfectly needed at that time*. Now, I am interested to find and read his other book, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, which is the more popular book of James Patterson and the predecessor.

*Flying with Sam's Letters to Jennifer was like flying like the flowing river, only this time the tears fell before I took the plane...

But as always, it has just to be dealt with.

***
Photo from http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides3/sams_letters_jennifer1.asp


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i soooo love this book...

-dayOHbee-

Ays said...

me too! im sure iiyak ka rin don sa isang book ni patterson..huhu!
di ko na alam san umabot si mcnaught. hehe..

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

uyyyy, nabasa nyo rin pala ito! ang saya naman! :)