Monday, June 18, 2007

Career Ghoul

I was thinking of what to write for my entry today. I wanted to write something funny and light. But I could not think of any right now.

I thought I could perhaps write something unusual and relate it to something perceptive, like the three chopsticks I got when I opened the pack for eating my kway teow yesterday. I found it weird and somewhat special that I got three sticks, obviously just one of the rare factory defects, but I could not think of something that makes sense to relate it to.

I thought maybe I could write something about my weekend in the Philippines that has just passed but all I could think of was how I could list down a thousand and one ways that the Manila International Airport operations could be improved.

I wanted to write anything, ANYTHING else, but about my job.


But I have no choice now. My life seemed to be just about my career so well, I guess I have the right to dwell on it. But really, I don't want to write about how frustrated and demotivated I was about what was happening to me at my job. Even if I wanted sympathy, I don't know how to actually explain my situation at my job without sounding like I'm just ranting, because my concerns seem so petty. Although I assure you that being the only Filipino in a multinational company, the only non-French in the team, and working remotely and alone, reading emails, documents and program codes written in French, and using computers that have Operating systems and MS office applications all in French can get really frustrating. When my project manager was transferred to another project last January without a replacement until today, I had to manage myself. It was so difficult, being alone in the battle, with no words of appreciation to motivate me to do my best, with no mentor to guide me, I was lost. It was the last straw for me.

And just when I have decided that my new career goal would be to become a mail-order bride,

just when I was seriously thinking of the possibility of quitting my job and becoming a bum,

just when I was rebelling at work by being "delinquent" by performing at only my minimal,

and just when I was expecting that I will be summoned and reprimanded for being "delinquent" when I was called in for a meeting with our CEO,

I was instead, to my great shock, offered the role of handling the project management administration for the Asia-Pacific offices!

what is this!? is fate teasing me again!?

not fair :(

didn't fate hear me? i said i just wanted to be a mail-order bride.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Trust me, I think handling the project management administration is a better deal than being a mail order bride.

Out of curiosity, how many stamps would it take to mail you across the Pacific to Canada? :P

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

Richard, I tried to calculate the postage (http://singpost.com.sg/quick_services/quicks_02postage_cal.asp) but well it seems I am so overweight that they couldn't calculate the postage for me. heehee.