Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I'm engaged!

Yes, it's quite sudden I know. I am quite surprised myself. But as they say, life is full of surprises and some things happen in a most unexpected way.

How? When? Where? Why?


Well, it was last Friday and I was in the taxi on my way to the airport for my flight home to Philippines. As usual, I have been responsive to the taxi driver as I always have been with taxi drivers here in Singapore who, most of the time, have lots of stories and opinions to say. Most of the time, especially when I am not tired and sleepy, I have always been accomodating to lend them an ear and give my share of the conversation as well. I have observed though that most of the time, the conversation would lead to asking my marital status. And I have always been honest by answering that I am not married, no boyfriend in Singapore, and no boyfriend in the Philippines (yes, I have learned here in Singapore that for a foreigner the "no boyfriend" is not equal to "no boyfriend in your native country also" so you have to clearly emphasize that). I'm not sure really why I have been honest about discussing my being single with taxi drivers here, perhaps because I feel confident that taxi drivers are trustworthy since most are in their 40's and 50's (because here in Singapore you cannot be a taxi driver if you are below 30 years old). So I feel like I am just discussing with my father or my uncle or my grandfather even. Furthermore, I don't feel comfortable being creative again just like a couple of years ago while renewing my driver's license in the Philippines. Also, I am not good at telling lies. So last Friday, the taxi driver was about in his 50's and I thought it was just the usual routine of my marital status discussion, with the taxi driver joking if he could ask me out. At first I still joked back but after trying to divert the conversation to ask about his wife or girlfriend I had a bad feeling that his joke was half meant and he was assessing me if I would give in! I had to immediately retract and told him I actually do have a boyfriend and he had to tell me I lied to him. Thank God that Aoisoba was there for me to talk to on the phone for the rest of drive to the airport.

So from then on, I have decided that I am now engaged to be married. That will be my answer now to taxi drivers and the likes about my marital status. No more being too honest and I don't care anymore if I would sound assuming or what. I just want to save myself from any more encounters like that.

And that, my friends, is the story of my new marital status. I now have a non-existing fiancé who I would be bragging about to strangers who dare ask me about him. I wonder how creative I would be this time. Mwahahahaha.

4 comments:

aoi soba said...

ang lesson dyan, thou shal not interfere with romantic conversation :p
on the bright side laging libre ang cab natin nyehehehhe

Richard said...

Congratulations! When is the big day? How big is the ring?

When I listen to women's stories about men, I think that life must be much more interesting for women than for men.

I hope your new status does not turn away suitable prospects.

One thing I always found irritating about women is that they suddenly blurt out something about their boyfriend. E.g.

me: "Excuse me ..."

girl: "(rapid fire) I've got a boyfriend and we go camping all the time. In fact we're going this weekend."

me: "... what time is it?"

Cavalock said...

haha! congrats from me too!

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

aoisoba, pag libre ang cab ibig sabihin naman nun OT ako, hehe. :P

Thanks Richard and Cavalock! You are invited to my imaginary wedding, heehee. :P