Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I wish I was good in Biology

As I went off to the train platform to change trains I saw some people surrounding an old man sitting down with his head bowed down. Two train personnels were there, then one man holding the shoulder of the old man, and another man making the old man smell ammonia, and another lady standing by who I think owned the ammonia.

The old man's saliva was drooling from his mouth, his eyes were closed. The first thing that came in to my mind was that the old man was having a stroke. I stood there frozen. I wanted to do something to help but I didn't know what I could do. I was trying to remember the first aid for stroke but I was panicking inside me, I was shouting in my mind for a doctor! Somebody get a doctor please!

I looked around hoping to find someone who would identify himself as a doctor and help. In my mind I was asking if any of the train personnel knows how to do first aide, because they looked like they were as shocked as me. Right then, I wished I was a doctor so I could have the conviction to take over the situation to check on the old man. I asked myself why didn't I become a doctor instead, it'll make me help a lot of people in need and I could help the poor man instead of just standing there watching as the train personnel and one man lift him and sit him on a wheelchair.

Another thing was evident, the old man had nobody with him. He was alone, and his life depended on the strangers who have helped him. I asked myself why was the old man alone and my heart crashed as I saw this preview of my future life, growing old alone and insignificant.

They wheeled him out. I got inside the train trying my best not to cry. I calmed myself and uttered a silent prayer for the old man. I hope it was enough to save his life and mine.

2 comments:

Richard said...

In the past people used to carry ammonia salts to revive people who had fainted. I am surprised people still do this.

Fresh air is a better remedy.

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

Hi Richard.
It is still quite common in the Phiippines and Singapore.