Saturday, June 23, 2007

Picasso, Pacita and my 10 year old Dress

I woke up feeling good. I was looking forward to this day. As I walked on the grounds of our condominium's compound, I was smiling, a smile that I haven't smiled for months. I was wearing a dress, my dress which I wore on my eighteenth birthday. I felt like a young girl again. Everything seemed to be more alive -- the pool's water seemed more blue, the plants seemed more green and the wind blew gently with a cool calming effect. I knew it would be a happy day.

The brunch with my chili friends was fun but it was more fun than I expected. Even just while cooking we were already eating and eating -- mooncakes, chocolates, cheese and surprise, surprise -- sipping wine! During brunch we had lots of stories more to tell while having more food (of course), the Purefoods hotdog I brought was a hit as expected but we were all surprised that the Kraft Eden cheese I brought was wiped out in a flash, while the fancy cheese was only partially consumed. Aoisoba bought some fishes that Apo cooked into a delicious Sarsiado and it was interesting to learn that Ays is not into cooked tomatoes so there was a separate fried fish for her which I ignorantly placed the fish with tomato beside it not realizing that I have just missed the purpose of why that fried fish was separated, hehe. We had two French guests that DayOhBee brought with her and instantly became the stars of the meal, because of their fine taste. Yes, the French guests were our new additions to our circle of friends because they were...wines! :)

Looking at us as we talked and ate there, I was so amazed at how we chilis have evolved our friendship and have jived naturally. We could talk for hours and hours about anything without getting bored or running out of something to share. And even trivial things can become perceptive, like saying that whata doughnut is more attributed to is not to a dough but to its hole. Then of course, I couldn't help not to blurt out my ever duh thoughts: that the doughnut should then be called a holenut instead. The expressions on my chili friends' faces after hearing what I said were priceless. hehe :)


After that hearty brunch, we walked going to the museum where there was an exhibit of some works of Pablo Picasso. We walked by that part of the Singapore river I've never been to, the part that extends beyond Robertson Quay and I think it was the most beautiful part of the river. Just outside the STPI museum, was a colorful bridge. I've seen this bridge a few times before from a distance and I thought then that it was just but a bridge with colorful paint but after learning that this bridge was actually painted by a Filipino artist, Pacita Abad, and is Singapore's first art bridge, it had a whole new meaning and became special to me.


After taking some pictures at the art bridge, we proceeded inside the Singapore Tyler Print Institute where there were housing Pablo Picasso's The Vollard Suite, this is a complete set of 100 sketches he made between 1930-37. Picasso is more popular for his cubism style, so it was interesting to see The Vollard suite, where everything was in black and white sketches, and Picasso's talent in free hand stroke was absolutely evident. Although I was just not into much on his subject, specifically on minotaur (a creature that's part man and part bull). But what was more interesting for me was to learn more about Pacita Abad's works from browsing at a couple of books about her arts. Her colorful style speaks so much to me! I love her works! You could see from her works that she was a happy person and I admire her for that. In year 2004, she knew she was dying but still she painted that bridge with a happy heart. I encourage you to visit her website to know more about her and her works.



After visiting the museum, we went to have some drinks and snacks, had some more talks before goinginto our own separate ways and concluding the day. As I went home, I thanked God for my friends,for they make me remember that I am not alone, we are here together.


***
~First and fourth picture courtesy of Ays
~The Vollard Suite exhibit at Singapore Tyler Print Institute is free admission and is until July 7.
~Pacita Abad's website that I am sure will interest you: http://www.pacitaabad.com/

No comments: