Sunday, September 23, 2007

Fishbowl or ocean?

When I was a child, my maternal grandfather would usually take me and my sisters to the countryside to spend summer vacation with them, usually for a couple of weeks or so. I liked going to the province with them, I enjoyed the time playing with my sisters and cousins. But there was this certain feeling I felt during the night, when we've had dinner and we were just inside the house and not allowed to go out anymore. We'd stay in the living room and let a couple of hours to pass by before going to bed. We watched television, usually the night news that my grandpa watched. Then that feeling will hit me, the feeling of missing home, of missing my parents, of missing the noisy streets, of missing my little bed at the corner of the room I share with my sisters.

Tonight as I watched television, that familiar feeling came creeping up to me. Yes, I have been getting homesick the past few days. I don't want to go to work, it does not make sense. I just want to go home and be with my family, speak my native language, see my friends, see the familiar streets I grew up to, eat street foods and homecooked foods.

I am surprised I am feeling like this, missing home so much that I am even considering going home for good. Amazing that now it is one of the options I am considering...although I don't really know...where should I really be?

It's been almost a year since I pondered about which was better, being in a fishbowl or in a vast ocean. Why am I still asking the same question up to now?

4 comments:

aoi soba said...

dear, dear fishiecoffee,
sasabihin ko sana,maglagay ka na lang ng extra plants sa aquarium... :p
we'll just have to wait muna siguro...tataas din ang permeability ng fishbowl :D
*hugs*
marami pa tayo dadayuhin na bansa ;)

iamKayan said...

Waaak! Nakaka-iyak naman itong article mo.
May namumuo ng luha sa kaliwa kong mata, pag sinabi ni direk na "AKSYON!!!" tutulo na ito. Hehehe.

P.S. Okay lang naman kahit aquarium or ocean or river or lake, basta dapat hindi ka Fighting Fish. Siguro dolphin pwede hehehe. SMILE!!! :P

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

aoisoba!!! sabi din "a rolling stone does not gather moss"...hehe, la lang, may konek ba? hehe :)
mishu!

Sistah! showbiz na showbiz ka na talaga ha. wehehehe. stay happy, naubos na raw ang bituin dahil sayo e! yiheee pish! :P

Richard said...

occasionally waves of nostalgia sweep over us. Even I am not immune to it.