Wednesday, September 12, 2007

It's crazy lah!

This afternoon I was at my desk in the office, staring blankly at my computer screen and muttering (more of groaning actually) to myself aloud:
"I'm going to be homeless..."

My French colleague who was seated at the desk across mine answered:
"Me too."

I thought he was just being sympathetic so I said:
"Huh? My rent is increasing 100% ! "

He answered:
"Mine by 280%! "


Ooops, I rest my case.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the percentage you are seeing are not exaggerations but are actual rates of the increase in the rent of apartments here in Singapore. And it is not just happening in the city prime areas but all over the country. Crazy, isn't it? The rent here is already expensive to begin with so imagine increasing it more to 100%. Some studies say that cost of living here now is even more expensive than New York City. Tsk tsk tsk.

It's like driving you away from Singapore...

Driving me away...

Hmmm....

Is this a sign?

8 comments:

Cavalock said...

gosh, hope u not leaving the country.

aoi soba said...

tulungan kita magpitch ng tent?
ey dibale oks naman pag charms mo eh :D

Echoserang Frog said...

putik! the first time I read this, this does not make so much sense then.... until we received a notice na may increase din kami sa bahay!

I am so homeless and loveless and alone and scaried. hahaha drama!

but yeah, I will be homeless soon! :(

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

cavalock, i leave it to where fate leads me to..

aoisoba, sige balik ka na dito, hehe. ang laki pa rin ng cash outlay e kasi 1 month agent's fee plus 2 months deposit :(

Apo, truely! it's so much different when you actually be in the situation! iba ang impact -- parang impakto, hahaha. :P

Richard said...

Obviously it is time to consider moving to Canada. Montreal has a nice mixture of French and English and rent is relatively cheap. Not to mention you would get 4 distinct seasons every year and have lots of wonderful snow in the Winter.

dayOHbee said...

coffee fairy! i hear yah loud and clear. hehe!

buti sa pinas ako naglabas ng stress nung gnyan situation ko... at libre pa! naawa yata saken pamilya ko. haha! :P

but everything will be ok soon... :)

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

hi Richard! yup, Canada is actually one of the options, i have some cousins there waiting for me to move there but we'll see where fate takes me...

dayohbee!!! i miss Pinas!!!

omaritosan said...

Dun worry sooner or later they will realise that they will ned foreingers to put back their economy. Making rent low as $100 per month of a studio? hmmmm sounds interesting.... zzzZZZzzzz