Thursday, April 13, 2006

Tennis the Menace

I came 15 minutes early to the tennis court to do some stretching before I started my tennis lesson. There were two students that my tennis instructor was teaching before me, one boy was around 12 years old, the other around 8. The boys were given a water break while the tennis teacher picked up tennis balls. I sat on one of the benches when the 12 year old boy suddenly sat next to me and I had this amusing conversation that made my night...

Boy: You still studying?
Me: No, I'm already working
Boy: What's your job?
Me: I'm a computer programmer
Boy: Which type is it?
Me: I'm doing Peoplesoft..it's a business application
Boy: Hmm, I don't know it but I think I've read it somewhere...
Me: Oh really?
Boy: How old are you?
Me: I'm 26
Boy: You're still young...
(Hmm, what is this boy up to?)
Me: Oh yes I am? Thanks.
Boy: Are you married? (What is this boy getting at!?)
Me: Nope
Boy: Do you have a byrfrnd?
Me: What? (I didnt clearly understand what he said, it sounded like boyfriend...)
Boy: Do you have a boyfriend?
(Oh my God! I did hear it correctly!)
Me: No
Boy: Why?
Me: Why?! Hahaha, why? Why? Hmmm, I don't know! (I could not believe I was being asked that question by a 12 year old kid)
Boy: Why you dont know? (Somebody stop him!!!)
Me: Well I used to have a boyfriend but we broke up...
Boy: Since when?
Me: Two years ago
Boy: Why? (I could not believe I was having that conversation)
Me: Because I discovered he had another girlfriend.
Boy: Maybe he didnt like you..
Me: Yea, I guess so (Ouch!)
Boy: So how long have you been playing tennis (Thank God he changed the topic!)
Me: Since October last year. You?
Boy: Just this year.

The tennis instructor then called on him as it was time for him to resume his lessons.
End of conversation.
Whew!

I think it was one of the longest three minute conversation I've had in my life.
I wasn't prepared for something like that, if that boy was a decade older I'd say he was making a pass on me. hehehe. =P
I admire his courage though, as at such a young age he has the guts men should have in talking to ladies, although if he was my age and he approached me with a conversation like that I'd definitely get turned off, asking why a girl doesn't have a boyfriend is definitely not a good pick up line, sorry. hehehe.

2 comments:

Prince Romp said...

Haha...

It must be that he had a crush on you..
or he's just being friendly and talkative..

Anyway...he really got the guts that some of the men dont...not even the coach himself.

Happy Easter n happy holidays.

Richard said...

I think children speak without the guile and deception that marks the speech of so many adults.