Friday, April 28, 2006

The Lost Kway Teow



And so I started with my new job in my new workplace. As I have been warned I will have no team mates, thus, as I have expected I would be spending my lunch breaks with myself. This is something I have to get used to (aside from the fact that my desk is strategically located with the CEO's desk a couple of meters away behind me).
I have been used to having my girlfriends cum lunch buddies in my previous work that I need to adjust being alone again, and I always feel sad when I eat alone. So in times when I eat alone, I have observed that I keep myself from being lonely by having
Kway Teow
(image also taken from there) or Hokkien Mee, but I am more keen on the former.
As the Kway Teow is a common food in Singapore, I should be able to find it in any food center. So when I went to the food center at the back of the building where I work, the first thing I looked for was for a Kway Teow. To my surprise there was only one store selling Kway Teow, so even if the line was long I queued and waited. Then my turn came and Auntie seller took my order, I said I'd have a Kway Teow and since I could not clearly understand what Auntie was saying, when she asked me something I just said yes like I usually do so to make things simpler. But then after saying yes I had a feeling I made a wrong answer. When I got my order was the time I realized what Auntie seller asked me -- she was clarifying if I wanted "the soup one", to which I answered yes so she gave me a big bowl of Kway Teow SOUP!
Awwwww nooooo!!! =(
I wanted the fried Kway Teow, I thought it was standard that when you say Kway Teow, it's FRIED seafood Kway Teow. But well too late, so I ate the Kway Teow SOUP. In fairness it was delicious, but still I am not into soups because for some reason I always have my tongue get "burned" from eating hot soup so it takes me eternity to finish a bowl of soup because I have to eat slowly to wait for the soup to cool down a little.
Anyway, the following day I went back to the same store to get myself a FRIED Kway Teow and guess what, it didn't taste good so I was sooo disappointed.
Awwwwww noooo!!! =(
I really don't know what's the point of me writing about my obsession on Kway Teow. Just that I got frustrated that I couldn't have a nice fried kway teow that day, moreso I got lost after deciding to take the bus going to the mall I needed to go to after work and then when I got a taxi finally I was unfortunately stuck in an unusual traffic jam that the only thing I could say to Uncle taxi driver to strike a conversation was where I could find the best fried Kway Teow in Singapore. He looked like he was amused to know I like Kway Teow and so he seemed happy to think about it and finally said in the restaurants in the East Coast.
But then again, when I think about Kway Teow now, suddenly, I don't feel like having one anymore. Suddenly, I just lost my craving for it.
Awww nooooo!!! =(

5 comments:

Kay said...

Poor you, no frens, no good Kway Teow..wat a day..

Wat puzzles me is that if the Kway Teow is not delish, why is queue long then?..hmm

Dont fret, its just the beginning of new environment, everyting will soon settle in. You'll hv a buddy lunch soon and will find a great kway teow stall nearby ur workplace too.

p/s- if you're really craving for it, I can offer to cook for you instead:-wink'

Happy weekend!

Richard said...

We all have "oops" moments. Sometimes they turn out for the better (see, you got a delicious soup instead of a less satisfying fried dish).

Why blog about it? Why not? It lets those of us who don't know you to learn a little more about you.

Anonymous said...

Yer not the only one missing a good kway teow dude...there is no kway teow stall near my office! the 'alternative' is the pahd thai, but i want cockles!!!

Prince Romp said...

My favourite meal is always a simple dish...just like your kway teow.

I love Hainanese chicken rice.
There are few stalls island wide that serves good fried kway teow.

I cant mention the stalls here as i dont want to give them free advertisement.

Dont worry..one fine day i will treat you for a lunch or dinner...of cos at one of the best kway teow stall ever. I'll help you to crave for it again.

I bet your future lunching partner would be your CEO himself, cos he is the nearest to you now. : )

ps; pardon me for my naive tagalog in the previous comments.

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

heya Sassy! The store was popular for its delicious soups,that's why the long queue, so I guess noodle soup is their specialty and not fried noodles. :)

Richard, I get many oops moments but it's ok, I just laugh at myself in these times. :)

Your mushroomness, miss Aoisoba, atleast you get a Phad Thai, that's yummy too. We should do away with the cockles, we are on diet remember? ;O)

Pare, i love chicken rice also! I tried the hainanese chicken rice at Tanjong Pagar hawker and it was awesome!

wow, Sassy is cooking me fried kway teow and the Prince is buying me lunch/dinner! must be my lucky day today...hmm, you know what, I'm also craving for lobster and caviar, and... :P