Sunday, April 02, 2006

When language does not work as a barrier

This afternoon I was having my usual fried Kway Teow* for lunch in the mall foodcourt. As it was crowded, I was not surprised if a couple asked me if they could share the empty seats at my table. I said yes with a smile and they settled in the seats. I was not sure at first if they were Filipinos because it was noisy and I could not hear much of what language they were talking with. When the guy came back from buying food and they started to eat was the time I clearly heard they were speaking in Tagalog and so I confirmed they were Filipinos. As there were only two seats for them which they already occupied, the lady started to see where she could put her bag and I took that as a chance to offer the chair where I placed my own bag and let them know I was Filipino too. So I spoke in Tagalog and they were surprised to learn I was Filipino. The guy told me "Filipino ka pala?" (Ah, you're Filipino), I said "Opo, hindi po pala ako mukhang Pinoy?" (Yes sir. I don't look Filipino anymore?"), hoping to strike a short conversation but nothing striked at all and they proceeded to eat. Then to my surprise, they conversed now using another dialect, which was Ilocano. I felt a little offended by it because I could not help but get the impression that they didn't want me to understand what they were talking about because after learning I am Filipino they stopped talking in Tagalog and conversed in Ilocano instead. I don't think it was the proper etiquette. They didn't talk about me or anything bad so I didn't see why they had to change language thinking I wouldn't understand what they were talking about.

So how was I sure that they didn't talk about me or anything bad?

Well, incidentally, I also understand only one other dialect, and guess what, it's Ilocano. hehehe.


*(Miswa, I made a careful analysis of my Kway Teow and found out that it had also the small mussels(?) ingredient that they had like in the Kway Teow in Tanjong Pajar hawker we ate at. I therefore conclude, that all Kway Teows should have that mussel ingredient. =P )


5 comments:

Richard said...

I've noticed that Filipinos are very friendly and seem to find great joy in identifying each other.

My wife, who is Peruvian, is often mistaken for a Filipina.

Speaking in a foreign language to avoid being understood is just plain rude. On the other hand, the truth is that people rarely speak anything interesting, even if they speak in a foriegn tongue (and hardly ever anything about you).

I find unilinguals to be uncomfortable with people speaking in a foreign language because they feel they might be talking about them.

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

Yes! I agree! We are such a friendly people who loves to laugh laugh and laugh (besides eat, eat, and eat. =P )
It is such a good observation you pointed out because indeed, we find joy in identifying a fellow Filipino when we see one. Perhaps because we feel more "at home" seeing another Filipino.

Kay said...

Its just ur luck that u came across with an 'unfriendly' filipinos...

Sometimes its not that they're talking abt u, instead their converse in English for example is not that powerful or u can say 'broken' n dont want ppl to laugh or sneer at their broken language...

P/s I like ur topic abt 'what car I would be....'can I use it on my blog??

Or maybe they're just talking secrets or something personal n confidential...

I'm not trying to defend anybody, but sometimes it happens to me too...

Kay said...

sorry abt the mess...there was obviously something wrong earlier....apologies

Coffee Fairy v1 said...

Hi Sassy momma, thanks for droppin by my blog and for your thoughts.
Sure, feel free to use the What Kind of Car are you topic, im glad you liked it. =)